When it comes to classic breakfast comfort food, American pancakes are hard to beat. These fluffy, golden discs of deliciousness are a morning staple that can brighten up even the gloomiest of days.
But did you know that you can enjoy these delectable pancakes guilt-free with a few nutritional tweaks?
In this blog post, we’ll share a mouthwatering American pancake recipe and provide you with the essential nutrition facts to help you make informed choices while savoring this beloved breakfast treat.
Ingredients of American Pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (or substitute with 1 cup milk and 1 tablespoon vinegar)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cooking spray or extra melted butter for the pan
Instructions for American Pancakes
- Preheat Your Griddle: Preheat a griddle or non-stick skillet over medium heat. You want it to be hot but not smoking.
- Mix Dry Ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine Wet Ingredients: In another bowl, beat the egg and then add the buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- Combine Wet and Dry Mixtures: Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix; a few lumps are perfectly fine.
- Cook the Pancakes: Lightly grease the griddle with cooking spray or a small amount of melted butter. Pour 1/4 cup portions of the pancake batter onto the hot griddle. Cook until bubbles form on the surface, then flip and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Serve Warm: Transfer the cooked pancakes to a plate and keep warm in a low oven if making a large batch. Serve with your favorite toppings, such as fresh berries, maple syrup, honey, or yogurt.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Now, let’s take a look at the nutritional breakdown for a serving of these delicious pancakes (the recipe makes about 8 pancakes):
- Calories: 120 kcal
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 5g
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Sodium: 290mg
- Potassium: 115mg
- Calcium: 64mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Portion Control: Keep your portion size in check to manage calorie intake. Consider topping your pancakes with fresh fruit for added nutrients and natural sweetness.
- Choose Healthier Toppings: Opt for healthier toppings like Greek yogurt, unsweetened applesauce, or a drizzle of honey instead of sugary syrups.
- Whole Wheat Flour: You can swap some or all of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour for added fiber and nutrients.
- Reduced-Fat Options: Use low-fat buttermilk and reduce the butter content for a lighter version of these pancakes.
With this fantastic American pancake recipe and its nutrition facts in mind, you can enjoy this classic breakfast without compromising your health goals.
Whether you’re treating yourself on a lazy Sunday morning or preparing a special breakfast for loved ones, these fluffy pancakes are sure to delight your taste buds while keeping your nutritional goals on track.