The black forest spaetzle recipe is a German dumpling made using flour, eggs, butter, and milk. They are usually served as an appetizer in a cream sauce, but they can be paired with bacon or mushrooms.
It is best to use spaetzle noodles when making a black forest spaetzle recipe because they give the dish more texture and the noodles remain firm at room temperature without becoming soggy.
Black Forest Spaetzle Recipe:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped cooked ham
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted cherries (canned or fresh)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, black pepper, and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and water until well combined.
- Gradually add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, stirring until a thick, smooth batter forms. Let the batter rest for about 15 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- While the water is boiling, prepare an ice water bath in a separate bowl.
- Hold a colander or spaetzle maker over the boiling water and spoon some of the batter into the colander. Use a spatula to press the batter through the holes into the boiling water. The spaetzle will cook quickly and rise to the surface. Once they’re floating, let them cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cooked spaetzle to the ice water bath to stop the cooking process. Repeat until all the batter is used.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the cooked spaetzle and sauté for a few minutes until they are lightly browned.
- Add the shredded Gruyere cheese and chopped ham to the skillet. Stir until the cheese is melted and everything is well combined.
- Gently fold in the chopped cherries and chopped parsley.
- Serve the Black Forest Spaetzle warm, garnished with additional chopped parsley and a sprinkle of black pepper if desired.
Serve the Black Forest Spaetzle in individual bowls or on a large platter. You can accompany this dish with a simple green salad dressed with a light vinaigrette to provide a refreshing contrast to the rich flavors of the spaetzle.
The sweet and savory combination of the cherries and ham, along with the creamy Gruyere cheese, makes this dish truly special. It’s a unique take on the traditional Black Forest flavors, and the colors of the dish can be reminiscent of the region’s lush forests and vibrant landscapes.
Enjoy this delightful and comforting meal with a glass of your favorite red wine for a complete Black Forest-inspired dining experience.