Culinary traditions often carry the heartwarming flavors of heritage, allowing us to savor the past with every bite. Hurmasice, a beloved dessert hailing from the Balkan region, is a perfect example of a treat that encapsulates the essence of tradition.
In this blog post, we’ll dive into the history of Hurmasice and guide you through the steps of creating this delightful dessert in your own kitchen.
Here is a recipe for Hurmasice, a traditional Bosnian dessert made from semolina and sweetened with simple syrup.
Ingredients of Hurmasice recipe
- 1 cup semolina
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- For the syrup:
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
Directions for Hurmasice recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the semolina, flour, baking powder, and powdered sugar in a large bowl. Add the softened butter and vanilla extract, and mix well with your hands until the mixture forms a smooth dough.
- Roll the dough into small balls about 1 inch in diameter, and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Press down lightly with your fingers to flatten them slightly. If desired, sprinkle chopped walnuts over the top of each cookie.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are golden brown.
- While the cookies are baking, prepare the syrup. Combine the sugar, water, and lemon slices in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the syrup has thickened slightly. Remove the lemon slices and discard.
- When the cookies are done, remove them from the oven and let them cool for 5-10 minutes. Pour the warm syrup over the cookies and coat them evenly. Let the cookies sit for at least 30 minutes to absorb the syrup before serving.
Nutrition Facts (per serving, based on 20 servings):
Note: Nutrition information is approximate and may vary based on ingredients and cooking methods.