Lauki chilla recipe is a delicious recipe that is easy to make. This is a Maharashtrian-style recipe. A popular dish in India, especially in western Maharashtra. This dish is made by boiling and then making a dough of leftover rice, spices, and edible oil.
The dough is then layered with boiled potato slices and cooked on an open flame to get the desired crispy texture. This tasty lauki chilla recipe is simple to make and has a delicious taste.
How to make a lauki chilla recipe?
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
- Serves: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
Ingredients for making Lauki Chilla Recipe
- Maize flour – 2 cup s
- Nuts – 2 tbsp (cashew, almonds)
- Oil – 2 tbsp (Canola or vegetable oil)
- Tomato – 1 medium (chopped finely)
- Green chilly – 3/4 no.
- A pinch of turmeric powder, green chilies, and salt as per taste. A bit of sugar.
Directions for Lauki chilla recipe
Step 1: Take 2 cups of maize flour and make a hole in the center.
Step 2: Add 2 tbsp of finely chopped nuts, 1 tbsp of oil and salt to taste, and water. Mix well. Knead the dough with your hands.
Step 3: Divide the lauki chilla dough into 8 portions and roll each piece into a ball.
Step 4: Heat oil in a pan on medium heat and add green chilies, salt to taste, and turmeric powder. Fry till golden brown [or until pink starts turning brown]. Next, add chopped tomatoes, 1/4 no of green chilly, and fry for a few seconds or until tomatoes are cooked thoroughly.
Step 5: Now add the balls of lauki chilla dough to this mixture and flip the balls in a circular motion to cover with the masala on all sides.
Step 6: Keep frying and flipping until all the balls are brown.
Step 7: Once the golden brown color is obtained, remove from heat and serve hot with the green chutney of your choice.
10 Amazing Serving Ideas for lauki chilla recipe
- Serve these lauki patties with raita.
- lauki chilla can be served with thosai, idli, dosa, or any other Indian breakfast.
- You can also have lauki chilla with a cup of tea or hot chocolate.
- Try out this recipe as a bread stuffing for chicken pieces. It might be yummy if you mix all the ingredients before stuffing the chicken pieces, cooking, and serving them as a main course salad later.
- Eat it like chilla with coconut chutney, which will give it a fresh flavor.
- Serve lauki chilla as finger food with tomato salsa or mango salsa.
- The leftover of this recipe can be tried in various other recipes like Dahl, pulao, etc.
- You can also make lauki chilla the day before and use it for stuffing the vegetable or paneer chole curry of your choice the next day. [lauki ji]
- This lauki chilla recipe can be tried to replace the bread slices for burgers.
- This can also be used as stuffing in sandwiches or tacos.
Is It Healthy for all?
This recipe is nutritious and healthy. The formula for lauki chilla is oil-free, gluten-free, egg-free, and sodium-free. It is a low-calorie dish. [for more view diet plans] It is also a suitable diet along with a diabetes diet plan as it contains no refined sugars or high-fat content.
The Lauki chilla recipe is one dish that I enjoyed a lot. This can be considered a substantial evening snack for kids and elders. I have tried this dish on my own and have also suggested a few serving ideas. I hope you can get the perfect taste of this dish and enjoy the same with your loved ones.