The recipe for beef liver stew is the perfect meal for the wintertime. Stew is a great meal for the winter because it’s hearty and comforting but also has a lot of nutrients that you need. It’s easy to make and doesn’t require many ingredients.
And did I mention this dish is delicious? You’ll want to make this stew over and over again as a winter meal staple! A recipe for the beef liver stew will delight even the pickiest eaters. This recipe for beef liver stew doesn’t require many ingredients, but it still tastes amazing! Hearty and comforting, this dish can become a weekly family meal.
How to make the recipe for beef liver stew?
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
- Total time: 2 hours
- Serving Size: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
- 1lb of beef liver, cut into chunks
- 3 cups of water
- 2 carrots chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- A bay leaf or two for flavor and herbs to taste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- A splash of red wine
- 4 potatoes, quartered
- 1/3 cup of flour to thicken the stew (add more if needed)
Directions for beef liver stew
Step 1: Cut your beef liver into small pieces, wash and place in a saucepan.
Step 2: Add water, carrots, salt, sugar, and a bay leaf.
Step 3: Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low-medium so the water simmer. Cover with a lid and simmer for 1 hour.
Step 4: After one hour, you will notice that the beef liver tendons have softened up a bit and are easy to cut into thick pieces.
Step 5: Turn the heat off. Flour and add a splash of red wine to the stew to cover all the ingredients.
Step 6: Add your potatoes and let them simmer for 15 minutes.
Step 7: Turn off the heat, remove the bay leaf, and serve!
If you want a thick stew for this beef liver stew recipe, use 1/3 cup of flour. Blend the flour with a splash of water with a fork. Add to the already simmering beef liver stew and stir until it forms a foam. Then remove the foam and serve! Mix all ingredients in a bowl and add to the beef liver stew as it is simmering so it can thicken your stew.
It is a good source of Vitamin B6, Iron, Niacin, and Zinc.
10 Amazing Serving Ideas for beef liver stew
- Layer the beef liver stew with mashed potatoes on top.
- Add macaroni pasta and cover to cook for 10 minutes.
- Make a stir fry in the beef liver stew with cabbage, carrots, broccoli, and onions!
- Cook quinoa or rice, and then make a layer on top instead of mashed potatoes!
- Add peppers to your beef liver stew for a spicy twist!
- Add in 2 cups frozen peas when you add the potatoes to thicken your stew!
- Serve over rice to soak up all the flavors!
- Top your beef liver stew with a poached egg to have some protein for breakfast!
- Top your beef liver stew with cheese instead of serving it on top of mashed potatoes! Enjoy!
- Add in some biscuits and pancake batter for a fun dessert!
The most important thing about this recipe for beef liver stew is that your beef liver is cut into chunks, so it cooks quickly. Your beef liver is only cooked in water, with a little salt and sugar. You can tame the beef liver on the stovetop with this simple cooking technique.